So, needless to say, I was pretty excited about this new idea of sewing strips of paper into an art journal!! The task at hand now was to figure out the best and most efficient way to do it. (Click on the pics to enlarge them)
Since trying to sew it directly into the book was so clunky, I decided that I would try sewing it on a blank piece of paper that was trimmed to a similar size as the pages in my journal, which is a Canson XL mixed media notebook. I love this book because the pages are a 60 lb paper and there’s no need to glue 2 or more together to get a strong page.
This is the next page that I put together. Kinda funky, eh? I couldn’t decide if I like the randomness or not.
I tried gluing each piece down with ModPodge, but when I started sewing, it was gumming up my needle. I found that if I placed the paper pieces on the sheet of paper, then carefully flipped each piece over, glued it with glue dots, and then turned it carefully back and glued it down, the paper was a lot easier to sew together. I also figured out that changing your stitch length to just about as long as possible would preclude the needle shredding the paper underneath or the papers on the top of your backing sheet.
Once the page is complete, all that’s left to do is glue it into the journal. I used a thin layer of Yes! Paste to glue it in. Not everybody likes this paste, It is extremely sticky and takes some getting used to when you are applying it. It claims to never wrinkle paper and I haven’t had a wrinkle since I started using it. All that said, it’s kind of on the pricey side.
Fourth page — and still trying to decide if the randomness appealed to me. I guess it’s not horrible. (Jeopardy theme playing in the background)